Monday, June 13, 2005

NBA es pantatic.. pare

Caveat... Some of this post may only apply to pinoy readers...

Its 3:30AM Sunday nite/Monday morning and its pretty late, but I have to start taking advantage of my nba.com playoff coverage, its Game 2 of the Finals. Living in Ireland, where Basketball coverage is as popular as Hockey, I had to paid 15 USD to the NBA.com, thinking that I would get live video coverage of the playoffs, like the mlb deal I got last Fall. That wasnt quite the case though, I only get stupid Radio coverage... no live video streaming, which is absolutely ridiculous. NBA sucks... and I suck... for getting suckered.

But something unexpected happened. I discovered that the NBA Finals is broadcast in 10 different languages online. And one of those is Tagalog. And I havent been able to stop laughing since.

To be honest, I cant take these filipino play by play and commentary guys seriously, at all. It just sounds too much like my Dad, Tito Max and Tito Ben talking while watching basketball in the living room, while drinking beer and eating pancit. You know the kind, when adult pinoys talk like they know what they are talking about, when in actuality they have no idea. "Si Jordan... he like ploats in da air, in plight, like a hobering, he jumps longer dan anyone else normal, dats why, grabi siya, da best" [Post Editorial Edit:This is actually something my Uncle once said, when discussing the Bulls back in the day with my other Uncles.. no lie, and it makes absolutely no sense, yet they were all nodding in agreement] Its taglish (half tagalog, half english) that they speak in, so most non flips (even Jill) could understand at least half of it, if you could get past the heavy fob pinner accent.

"Rip Ahmeelton, shoot, wala, air bull, Na obos na ang shot clock... nako!... yong San Antonyo, all busniss si la, Parker bringing op da boll bery past, stop siya, kecking it out to Bohwin... MACdice, grabi ang position nya.. pass nya to Ohrry, oh Roburt Ohrry por tree! Galing! Inabot nya. Galit si Larry Brown..."

"DanCAN, magandang ang ball pake nya, shoot... op da glass, dats es automatic por him... he es too good, scoring at any giben moment. And he got Pouled too. Grabi, itong DanCAN. Sakit yan sa Rasheed Walluce"

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA... you have no idea how funny this is. I cant even pay attention to the game, because I just fractured another rib from laughing... I have no idea what the scores...

No comments: