Saturday, February 25, 2006

Winter Olympics

Its now the second Olympics I get to watch in Europe, but since the Irish dont have much of a Winter Olympic team, (cuz when it does snow, the whole country practically shuts down), then theres not really that much coverage on television. I think the best efforts of the Irish Winter Olympics team this year in Turino was some dude who finished 88th in the Biathalon. BBC still has some decent coverage fortunately.. and since the British dont have much of a team either.. then its actually nice when they skewer the attention to other commonwealth countries that actually know what they are doin... ie Canada... and also Australia in Aerials (but thats it, no doubt under the influence of Whistler) Now, I know I ripped the English during the Athens Olympics for being overly dramatic and completely sensationalistic, BUT it actually sounds not too shabby when these pompy English annoucers start cheering for your guys. Of course they still focus on the british hopefuls that barely miss the spotlight, comin in a respectable 4th in bobsleding, or 5th in 500m short track, or getting a silver in skeleton (National Hero!!) but who cares just as long as they are trumping up Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen as well. And get this, I got the Irish guys in the office to cheer on the Canadians, too. Thats all my doing, thats all me... Canada's daily Olympic accomplishments are actually watercooler material in the mornings at an Irish company. I rule.

One poor showing has been the hockey Coverage which hasnt been broadcast live often, and when it does, it sounds like the play by play and color commentary are being done by some amateur pulled off the street at random. They have no idea what they are freakin talking about, driving me mad, again all in an English accent no less, and mispronoucing every players name. Personally I dont think its that hard to say Iginla or Lecavalier. A horrible job. I was in Sweden though when I watched the quarter finals when Canada lost to Prussia, Czechs beat the Slovaks, Fins beat the Americans and Sweden demolished the Swiss. At least then, I watched those games in Swedish, which was way better.

BBC did come out with this gem,

"Kovalev who has more moves than a Madonna video"

so bad its good...

So Team Canada lost yes... which sucks. But what can you do. Thats what happens when you let someone like Bryan McCabe on the team. He brings everyone down to his level... he is cancer... Stupid Maple Leafs...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on... McCabe wasn't the cancer in the dressing room, I was. Also, I can't play worth a damn anymore either, you know, since I went soft...

Anonymous said...

Canada would have won gold had they dressed Chuck Norris to play.