Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ryder Cup Depression

Im absolutely shattered. The Ryder Cup is starting up only down the road from me; well about 100 km away actually but in relation to how far Augusta is, that might as well be only 2 inches. Eldrick, Lefty, Sergio, Padraig, Eldricks wife, Leftys wife... all down the street from me. And it doesnt look good that Ill be able to go. Not for the lack of effort or opportunity.. I have set my limit though to 250 euros for a day ticket, and even though I started looking early, like last January.. that kind of money doesnt even come close to being significant. Id need to at least double it. Ive entered every draw possible to win tickets, but I should of known that was no use because I havent won anything in my life.

The biggest blow came today when I was talking to our Global Sales Manager for ABB Paper Automation. I pushed his buttons for the possibility of any tickets, knowing he wouldnt cross the road himself for a golf match unless they were playboy bunnies playing with footjoy gloves and nothing else. Anyways, he proceeded to tell me that he returned 4 corporate tickets months ago meant for executives of US customers, all because those silver spoon big wigs could not ethically justify crossing the ocean for a sporting event, as much as they wanted to. Returned four tickets. Then he tells me, another two of his tickets are probably going to waste this weekend because a CEO from another Swedish customer cant make it last minute, but the tickets are already in his name, so no one else can use them. TWO ALL WEEKEND TICKETS TO THE RYDER CUP GOING TO WASTE FROM MY COMPANY. I just projectile vomited on my floor...

Small inkling of hope, during lunch he said he can check to see what he could do if I was interested in going down to the K Club... I proceded to tell him Id show up even if there were gail force winds. But in reality, since this is coming from the mother hen of sales guys... mr slick rick... i think hes just blowing smoke up my ass... and the stupid thing is, I bet its gonna rain harsh all weekend, which means all the fairweathers will not be showing up, wasting their passes. Like I said, I would show up if it was Hurricane Katrina... yet most of the people that actually have tickets dont give two shits unless its sunny. Might as well line up a class room of kindergarden kids, and let them kick me in the balls, one after the other.

No comments: