Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Boyz II Men

Like most days, actually ever day, I was on youtube randomly wandering the world of the video. I dont know how, like really you just stumble into most things on youtube, a thread or path thats never really duplicatable (another one of my words) the next day, youtubes's contribution to chaos theory. Its like rooting through a favorite quirky roadside market, you dont quite know what to expect but you go on with yourself, always with the knowledge that youll find at least a few bits and pieces that delight you to no end.

Today I walked the streets of motownphilly (and back again, doin a lil eastcoast swing). I was watching a video of a Amy Heckerling movie trailer, once it ended, I followed a new string from the post video pop up menu, and all of a sudden there they were again. Slim. The deep voice guy. The guy who sings with ticky head movements like he has tourettes. And then theres Cho, the guy with the glasses. (Cho, if youre reading this, you cant deny it for 16 years, he still and always will look like you; like its not a bad thing. Its like your other twin, Supersonics point guard Earl Watson). The thing is, up until today, I had selectively erased the memory of Boyz II Men. I dont know exactly why, maybe its because of the early 90s pop period I was later mildly embarrassed of, at a time when it starkly contrasted new alternative music I was being introduced to (Janes Addiction, Pearl Jam, Nirvana) or even the good HipHop at the time (Dre The Chronic, Snoop), all of which now are considered hall of fame classics. And to compare, Boyz II Men are an after thought these days, especially compared to those guys. So I kinda forgot about them. Their CDs dont show up on my CD rack anymore, and their songs are absent from my iTunes library. Its strange logic really, considering the person we are talking about is me, the same guy who has no shyness whatsever regarding my affinity for Backstreet Boys and NSync, or for that matter New Kids on the Block. Only thing I could think of in defense is that..... maybe.... its because they're black preppy..... like Carlton; whoever really like Carlton.

Still though its hard to fault them.. even if they over did it with the dated and now seemingly ridiculous midsong "talking to the girl in a sensitive deep voice" interlude technique. haha I still cringe at those. BUT... after reviewing their videos again on youtube, some of which I havent seen in over 10 years... I was warmly surprised that I knew all the words. I cant even say that about Bon Jovi (I know all the Bon Jovi important chorus bits though). I also forgot HOW MANY songs they had. End of the Road, Water Runs Dry, Bended Knee, (its so hard to say goodbye to) Yesterday, One Sweet Day (with skinny Mariah), let alone influencing a full on run of successful copy cats: All 4 One, Hi-Five, Color Me Bad, Jodeci, Shai, to name a few. You know your shit smells good when everyone starts copying you. Even the way you dressed. Remember now, in the early 90s, if you werent wearing plaid dirty jeans grunge... you were wearing dress shirt with tie and jeans and a formal jacket. Because that what Boyz II Men wore in their videos. Id also bet that they defined and dominated the Graduation Prom Theme Song for every high school in the whole early 90s, let alone provide every teenage boy in the early mid 90s some sweet makeout action music. I dare anyone prove me wrong.

Anyways what Im trying to say is that they were pretty good, and I forgot that. This is what happens when you spend too much time on youtube. You start remembering back in the day, when things didn't suck, even though they do now. LOL. Still wont add them to my iTunes library though.. some things belong on youtube.

Before I end this though... I want to post a personal favorite, again from youtube. Quite possibly the best commercial Ive ever seen in my entire life. Its been playing here in Ireland and the UK for 4-5 months, and I have no idea if it plays back in North America. But I love it, so good... enjoy. Notice the purple.

No comments: