Sunday, January 23, 2005

Sports Guy

Ive been religiously reading Bill Simmon's Sports Guy column on ESPN Page 2 for almost 5 years, easily the best commentary site known in the whole ever-expanding universe, in my lowly humble opinion. Bill has been a magician at molding pop culture and sports and humor into one of the best and most consistent reads ever. He does it by keeping it pretty random yet simple, using every pop culture reference you cant even think off and also referencing a cast of reaccuring characters that bring us closer into his world; like his Dad, his Mom, his Wife and his various close-buddys. And it just works so well, I adore what this guy does. Its so good.

I have cut and paste a little bit of it below, from a recent column. This one made me laugh hard. Peashhh out:

----------------

Funniest Phone Call: My Mom
She called me during the weekend to ask why Randy Johnson was called "The Big Unit," saying, "I don't get it; why would somebody be nicknamed after the size of their penis? Why is this allowed? I'm not going to be able to watch him pitch now, I'm going to be frightened that something will fly out." When I responded that it was just a nickname and probably had nothing to do with his locker room prowess, she said, "Well, why would you want a nickname that makes you sound like a penis? Who would do that to themselves?"

(You know it's a good weekend when you get to hear your mom say the word "penis" two times without wanting to light yourself on fire.)



No comments: