Saturday, October 21, 2006

Gortu Mortu, whats the score? 4-2

I just read my last few India posts. I was a little morbid. Not to say India was terrible or anything but a few unfavorable factors added up that my will could not overcome and thus destroyed my soul... Let me review:

-India is in the middle of a dengue fever and malaria epedemic, so I was constantly applying DEET, deathly afraid of getting bitten by mozies. When we were in the country side, I wasnt as scared because it was a bit safer and cleaner, but in Kolkata (or is it Calcutta?), we wouldnt even leave the hotel unless there was a fire. Only then is it safe, because the smoke would drive them away, styles....

-The beauracracy in India is unbelievable. Obtaining my Visa was a complete nightmare, as the Indian Embassy in Dublin is the most useless Embassy in the whole world. Why even it exists, I have no clue, because they refuse to do anything for you. And then dealing with guards once in India was headwrecking. At the Airport for example, there were guards stationed at the entrance, and when it was time to leave, they wouldnt let us in because our tickets were for a different date. I tried to explain that we had flexible tickets and that we changed our departure on the phone with Singapore airlines but they were having nothing of it. I couldnt even go to the Singapore airlines desk, because it was IN the airport... and we were still OUT of the airport. Complete rubbish, since when do you need a ticket just to enter the Airport?. When we actually somehow got past those guys... there was another guard to enter the Checkin area. He wouldnt let us in either... ridiculous!!!

-Everyone in India has a moustach. Even some girls. And I dont trust people that eat with their hands and have moustaches.

-I was expecting, at least semi-frequently, for moments when music would start playing and crowd of people to form up and break out in coreagraphed dance, lined up, with girls on one side and guys on the other... but this didnt even happen ONCE! Incredible... bollywood lies.

- At the paper mill guesthouse we had no selection and ate the same food for every meal, everyday. I was CRAVING Macdonalds after 4 days.

Never so relieved to be back in Singapore and then now Sydney. Felt like shit the whole time too because the food made me piss out of my ass 12 times a day. Between that and the sweating 5 Litres a day... I cant believe I only lost 6 lbs. I was hoping for much more.

No comments: