Thursday, March 15, 2007

Jakarta

Just about to leave Jakarta, or as I like to call it, the Muslim Manila (MM) [lots of parallels here, people look the same, huge divide between rich and poor, but frequently living right beside each other, all the rich are chinese, big huge malls, funny looking money, corruption abound and again the people look the same, really, with that tshirt and jeans and slippers poor asia look). Want to post something really quick, before I left here so, this is it.

Kinda interesting flying into Indonesia a couple days after the latest plane crash on Garuda Airlines, officially the national airline with the most suspect safety record of all airlines in the world. That airline legitimately scares me, just as much as any airline in India. Thats why I flew here on Singapore Airlines, bar and far the best airline in the history of ever, such a big contrast. 80 movies doods and On demand, fast forward and rewind, whenever you want. It really embarrasses the offerings of Air Canada, who still have those shared movie screens, circa the 80s or something. I decide not to fly those, not for me friends.

Been here for four days, and leaving tomorrow morning. Got to go shopping a little, and I was shocked and surprised how expensive it is. Like really, i was fuming mad, because most of the sweat shop factories are like only 20 miles away, with shoes and clothes being made for centavos. But for some reason, in the malls anyways, all the stuff was the same price as Europe. Its insulting. Really quite upsetting... I know I could find some cheap stuff if I wandered into the more local establishments.. but really I dont feel like being mugged on this trip, either.

Thats it.. busy now listening to the muslim prayer outside on loud speaker ... ahhhh lallalalala alla alla alla... magadishu...

No comments: