Friday, March 05, 2010

10 Things I Like About You

Let me try and get back into this thing...

Ive talked about this before, how some highlights in life are the simple things like, say, stumbling upon of your favorite movies on TV. Its golden: mostly because it wasnt premeditated, and you'd be hard pressed to find people that dislike pleasant surprises. Like a personal favorite song playing at someone else's house party, or running into a close friend while gallivanting around somewhere unusual and unlikely, like say Surrey. Wayne feels this way everytime Top Gun finds its way onto TBS, for example. He may already have multiple repeat plays on the DVD he already owns, but its still nothing like this. Its the best version of repeat viewing, its that much more special.

I mention this again, well, because of a movie I haven't seen in maybe 6-7 years. 10 Things I Hate About You. It just finished on Channel 4 and I love this movie. See these are the things that excite me nowadays. Im a simple guy, and I dont ask for much anymore at this current station of life. Im a sucker for late 90s, early 2000s teen movies, for me its like Eat Mores and Haribo Jelly Bears- I cant stop consuming. There's no need to defend it really, its just good movie making. Marty and I spent a whole year watching these things. In this particular case, how can you go wrong? Its Shakespeare, a modern re-imagined Taming of the Shrew (which is one of my favorite Willie S. plays btw). And, get this, I like it even though Im having no time for Julie Styles, the so called marquee star of this vehicle. She sucks, shes terrible, shes not believable in anything she plays, yet I still like this movie, thats how good it is. Its also Heath Ledger's first movie, and he acts with his Aussie accent, which is unbelievably rare, if you think about it. Unless your watching Ned Kelly, its not like you can get that again.

So its the simple things. And I felt I got lucky. Judging from the pathetic calibre of my Friday nights lately (and lately as in a scope of measure not in weeks, or months, but years), I cant help but be more content than usual. Up until Cant Hardly Wait comes on, or She's All That.

2 comments:

Eman said...

epic musical movie scenes- oh happy day on sister act 2. Baby sitter blues-adventures in baby sitting. Cool Rider-grease 2. On my own-Dawsons Creek..but thats a tv show..so in that case. every episode of glee.

Unknown said...

Then you also have that - sugar oh honey honey – song from the Archie TV movie and the – my name is chi chi and I’m from Japan – song from that early 80’s show that I think is a rip off of Breakfast club.