Sunday, October 23, 2005

Threes

Ever hear of the rule of 3s? You know, where everything happens in 3s? Everything. Or everything is verified after 3, or defined after 3. Or the saying "third time lucky". The instances of 3s appears everywhere. For example, first and foremost, there are the three physical dimensions that define the natural world. Thats why we call it 3D. Aristotle talked about "the three unities" of time, place and action—which is way too fancy to talk about here, but, yeah, uh, take my word for it. Other great authors and teachers taught to consider the balance of threes in writing and literature. In photography theory, there is the fundamental rule of 3s, a simple technique for taking impactful pictures. Of course theres the famous 3 times word power rule, where if you use a new word 3 times, like say my new word which is "Reticence", then it becomes yours, you permanently own it in your vocabulary (Joey from "Blossom" taught me that one). Theres the 3 second rule for dating; the rule that you should immediately try to meet a women within 3 seconds of seeing her (or her seeing you), which basically means dont ever hesitate (this is where I always go terribly wrong). You also see 3s in movies with the biggest movies of all time situated in Trilogys; Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Godfather... Rambo... The Mighty Ducks. And then theres the triple-double and the 3 point shot in Basketball, three periods and the three goal "hat trick" in hockey, and in CFL football theres the 3 do... well who cares about CFL football. And then, of course, there is the Catholic Holy Trinity; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen. Theres tons of this 3s stuff, theres a lot more, but I think I made my point (where this point is going, Im getting to that)

I like this because there is power in the number three. Like whats better than two pairs of shoes? Three pairs, homey. So anyways... I went shopping in Dublin yesterday (If you have to know... in spite of my natural "Reticence", I only shop in London, New York, Paris, Milan, Madrid, Dublin, Belfast, Tokyo, Singapore now. You have to have standards) And I bought my THIRD successive pair of expensive skinny jeans. You know what that means, because of the significance of 3s, Im officially in the expensive jeans club. Nothing else lower than Nudie Jeans or Seal Kay or Gas Jeans are acceptible now, Im afraid. And Id like to add that I came to these terms on my own, with no influence from anyone else. (Including you, J to tha M, Miss TripleFiveSoul, which, uhuh, is another instance of 3s btw) So yeah, theres no holding me back now, I wont even look at Levis anymore unless they are the designer type ones, which do exist thankfully (Listen to me, I dont recognize myself anymore).

Now on this shopping trip, I bought a few things (shoes, duh, aforementioned jeans, somemore stuff from H&M, and The Warriors XBox Videogame which will severly jeopardize my "read one book a month" challenge) and I spent quite a bit of money, or so I thought. Thing is I went shopping with my friend Josie, who is very un-"reticient" in her shopping style and put me to shame (WOHO! Thats 3 times I used it, "Reticient" is sooo mine now). Somehow with less bags than me, she managed to spend double what I did, and defended herself by saying that "girl things" are expensive. Uh huh... like you really needed another pair of FM boots and 30 euro bottle of anti-wrinkle face toner shit... (NOT that Im complaining... nuhuh)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pneuo-lee,

i likes your theory of the number three. b/c i am the third child which translates to the the best looking and the tallest!

and reticent and any derivation of it is TOTALLY mine. i used it way more than three times in like 2001. get w/ the times.

oh! and check me off another one for the expensive jeans category. (thank you artizia and thank you mom) i think i have 9 pairs...which is a multiple of 3.

j to tha m (rockin' in the tdot w/ the fbomb)