Sunday, February 04, 2007

More Skating


Im determined to learn how to skate better. If there is one thing that motivates, its being Canadian yet stuck watching some irish guys skate better than you. Everytime I see a random irish punk skate around flawlessly, its that slightly dissappointing feeling like just getting into the shower and then realizing you need to take a shit afterwards. Like why didnt you do it before? I could of learned to play hockey on ice before, but I didnt do anything about it. Now its bad timing.

I had this now delusional impression that there would be no one in small town Dundalk that would be able to skate well. Minus the few imports from Eastern Europe, Nordic Countries, America and Canada, I figured the Irish themselves would be completely shitty. Well I was wronger than Kenny Roger's decision making with his latest cosmetic surgery (he looks chinese now). A vast majority are shitty, a fact that is still quite true, but there are more than a handful that are very good, a reality that completely leaves me baffled and more importantly annoyed. I went to watch the brand new Dundalk Ice Hockey Club practice and train on Wednesday, and with the advanced drills and the howitzer slap shots, they were at about the same level as a decent beer league team. I quickly came to the realization, unless they have a C team, Im not yet ready for that.

So now I have to catch up and work on it. I need to learn to skate backwards faster. Then do backwards cross overs. I need to learn how to do cross overs to the left more carefree. Then learn how to cross over to the right, period. Learn how to hockey stop better. Learn how to transition and get my natural balance. And then, get comfortable with a stick and puck; (after hockey with Wayne, i know now its not like street hockey with a tennis ball and runners on asphalt) Its a long list... but Im truly motivated and also excited about it at the sametime even though at 12 euros a pop, its gonna be expensive (what a rip off! backhome its only 4 bucks). I even went to the first Learn to Play session on Friday nite, a structured skating program with proper coaches. So now I know what to work on... Im trying for at least 3 times a week... Ill tell you how it goes... gotta represent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh..Noy, your Filipino...
Kuya Joe