Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Teeths

Not too long ago, I discovered that I had a pain in my tooth everytime I bit down on the left side. This is my dominant chewing side, no-less. This started about two - three months ago, ahhh.. well... thats when it became a real noticable issue, anyways. Normally a logically sane person would go to the proper professional practioner to remedy the situation. Sore back? Go to chiro. Bad shoulder? Go to physio. Depressed? Go to a therapist, or cheaper yet, a licenced bartender. Need a Paul Simon fix? Go to Julio down by the school yard. I am, however, an anti-dentite... or more like it, suffer from acute dentistophobia. So my plan was, obviously, to chew on the other side of my mouth from now on, and pray to the mystic teeth leprachauns to heal the condition with fairy magic while I sleep.

Suffice to say, the plan hasnt worked out so far yet... but I was reasoning that I probably havent given it enough time; fairy magic dust is a rare commodity on low global supply. You need to give these things time.

I didnt think it was a big deal anyways, until last weekend when I realized I needed to act fast, which is any time when you end up picking chunks of last weeks chicken from the crevices within your back molar. It turns out I have lost a filling. So I came to the realization that I had to do something which I never intended to do ever... go to an Irish Dentist. (You know its bad when you're canvassing Irish mates for dentist commendations and they then recommend me to go up North to a UK Dentist instead of doing work here... like wha? A UK dentist being a better more professional option? Are you serious? Those kinda statements now put me in the frame of mind that I might as well be going to a dentist in the Congo).

I had to go. Even convinced myself that it wouldnt be that bad; Ireland is a modern country with smart, intelligent people, Dentists here cant be THAT terrible. Simple operation really, refill a filling. Clean it out the old one, fill in the new one. In the world of dentistry, even I know that its fairly straightforward easy, peasy, japanese-y. Well, I should take a picture and show you then the hack job they did on my tooth. My new back lower molar looks NOTHING like how it use to. First of all, the esthetics of it looks like a job done with a soldering gun and the contours and shape is all off now; it feels like its modelled after a valley / reverse dome with serrated edges around the perimeter. Who did they think I was , a Great White Shark? Piranha? Insult to injury, the tooth is more sensitive now than it was before. Ugly and non-functional, which is the worst combination of any personal medical service rendered. Stupid Irish dentists... and top things off, this hack job cost me €110. Thats half a nice pair of jeans. Once again, magic fairy dust is the proven better option.

No comments: