Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ohare

Im in O'Hare airport right now on route to Wassau Wisconsin. Through a rapid and pannicked turn of events, Not too dissimilar to the standard operating procedures at my work, I was informed of travel then on a plane within 24 hours. Happy days, thats like Superman in the telephone booth type turnover. Not that it was a spot of bother in this instance, mind you, I did have the flexibility this week to go, and really my only concern was that I was running low on the underwear; 3 days worth tops. But hey, its gives me an excuse to buy; and Im going to the States so Banana Republic and Ambercrombie and Fitch, here I come (they have great quality boxers, Ive covered this before).

Because I havent been to the USA in over 2 years, its a bit wierd for me. Its weird in a way that a flight there introduces a awkward dissimilarity that normally used to be similar. Clear as mud? Let me explain. When I approach the gate of a flight to the USA, for example and I hear a dominating American accent everywhere, I get wierded out. You see, after even just a month back in Ireland, I quickly get used to the speech and mannerisms, and it quickly becomes all I know. Also hearing other European accents, English, Scottish,Italian, Spanish, French, German, Eastern European... they are normal too, its what I hear every day and naturally get accumstomed to. American and Canadian accents immediately pop out to me now in busy crowded streets, and I cant help it but its like a dog whistle. Now put me on a flight with loads of that kind of talking, and I get taken aback. It just takes a while to get used to again.

Its also wierd being in Ohare for the first time in ages. And to be honest I dont know if I like it. Terminal 1 and 2 anyways, are bunk. Small gates, not many shops, too much 'not good for you, but tastes SO good' food to tempt you. At least I cleared Immigration in Dublin before arriving, otherwise my opinion could maybe be more venomous. One thing that was good though... I discovered this new drink called Vitamin Water. I tell you what, its my new drink. Its the new Ice Tea. And thats a helluva thing to say.

So tomorrow Im in Wisconsin for a week, which should be uneventful. I will be back in Chicago though next weekend, I hope. Unleash me on some shopping.

No comments: