Thursday, November 10, 2005

Fantasy Island

Im built on some addictions. I like being addicted to Pop Culture, it kinda defines me. Im addicted to new clothes, new shoes, new words without sounding too much like a poser (A definite skill, and its mastery is all in the context and intonation), new cities, new accessories, new toques, new gagets, new sunglasses, new cologne (Armani Black Code and Gaulter II y'all), new electronics, new books, new music, new clothes, new shoes, new young hot emerging yet undiscovered actresses, new movies, new stores, new hats, new Snapple flavours, new cars, new girl bands, new dance like youre gay songs, new cry me a river songs, new clothes, new shoes, new toys, new videogames, new videogame systems, new sports seasons, new jackets, new socks, new iPods, new cloths, new shoes and last but not least new TV shows. And most recently, Im addicted to Lost. Its got me. Im helpless. And this is what I do to get my fix, I download 350 Meg episode files from the internet, minutes after they air in North America, cuz, yup, Im addicted, and I gots too (dumbass Ireland is too slow and wont start showing the 2nd season until probably April. Fuck that.)

Now heres the interesting thing; for the first time, I get to play Drug Dealer, too, and its fun. You have no idea how many Clients I have at work, looking for the next weekly hit. If I was smart, Id sell this shtuff, and make 10s. Instead, though, I do it for the popularity, because Im insecure. On that note, its almost midnight, and I just finished downloading Episode 6. I need to watch now. And tomorrow, distibute my flash memory stick, watching the eager Irish faces as they copy my contraband. Im buying friends.

But just let me rant on one thing: who are these people that pretend they dont watch TV, or dont need TV because they think that Anti-TVism is the new cool, the new socially correct cachet? Everyones experiences it, especially when you meet someone new and youre into that "just met you, gotta sound cool" conversation, theres almost always an instance of the "nah I dont watch much TV" line drop. Like what the fah? Bah Humbug. Screw that. Im proud to watch TV. Good TV. There aint nothing wrong with it (or double negatives for that matter). This is the way I see it; TV along with movies and music, provides the single most sought after commodity known to man; escapism. People need dreams, need escapes, and TV, along with the more socially acceptible music and cinema cousins, allows that. Enrique Iglesias once sang " You can run, You can hide, but you cant escape my love"... which has nothing to do with my thesis, but Enrique is my hero, so it was a good excuse to be random yet related. And also get a song stuck in your head. ha ha!

Okay Im becoming incoherent... but one last thing, Ive heard great things about My Name is Earl... if anyone knows of a download forum for it, please let me know, because I wanna see what all the hype is about..

Okay enoughs enoughs... I need to find out who they are going to kill this episode... lates yo...

No comments: