Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Pop the Cork

This weekend was a well deserved bank holiday long weekend; Well deserved I say, especially after a 70 hr work week (Sometimes working till 3AM 3 days in a row is fun in some perverse manner, but actually Im really fishing for sympathy) Bank holidays, though, I love them. What an invention. Random days during the year where apparently banks shutdown? so everyone else does as well, like a big national game of simon says. The closest I can think of that comes close to it were the professional days we got in elementary school which I remember so fondly (as if school teachers didnt receive enough time off during the year already; along with the excellent health benefits, that profession really gots some stroke, I tell ya). So yeah, bank holidays, God bless em. We got Monday off.

I went down to Cork, in Southern Ireland with my flatmate John... staying at his parents house. And there I went with John, Miriam, and his brother Ted to go kiss the Blarney Stone. As you may know, kissing the Blarney Stone as legend has it, helps you acquire subtle eloquence and convincing persuasion, "the gift of the gab". It is also said that the Irish piss on the stone when tourists arent looking, but I think thats why the stone is so smooth. I wasnt too worried though, cuz John and Miriam went to kiss it too. FOR THE FIRST TIME. And John grew up like 5 minutes away from Blarney. Thats like living in North Vancouver all your life and not to going crossing the Capilano Bridge like ever... uh, which is totally normal actually.

Miriam going up the stairs to Blarney



John going down the stairs from Blarney



Me kissing the Blarney Stone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hanoy, when I come over there and visit, can Miriam be my tour guide?