Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Christmas Carol.. pt 5

Im running out of Christmas songs to write about. Its a little distressing. Every year I write about a great Christmas song. Its turned into a long standing tradition in celebration of white Winters and the greatness of the christmas season, in the respect of what it represents to children and of course, also, the kids in all of us. Last year, almost exactly to this day, I was leaving for the Philippines and I ended up using my last great Christmas Song, The War is Over, John Lennon. And in the years previous I had wrote about Do They Know its Christmas (Band Aid), Last Christmas (Wham!), Little Drummer Boy (Bing Crosby and David Bowie), and Fairy Tale in New York-Christmas in the Drunk Tank (The Pogues)

[Oh geez. two posts in one day. Whats going on?]

I do have a few more in my back pocket I could use, but this year I decided to switch it up and go with songs that can easily BE Christmas songs, even though they really arent. And because they feel 'christmasy' I have decided, by myself, that maybe they just are. So like a self-fulfilling prophesy, they are now. You will think so too, after I work my magic.

First one is Coldplays 'Till Kingdom Come'. I first found out that Chris wrote this song for Johnny Cash. He had intended it for him. But in another light, I think this song is completely yuletide and christmas trees. With the guitar chords and the piano / organ backing, and the subtle flute pacing, its almost naturally suited for singing as a carol in the snow, right beside the Salvation Army guy with the bell and the money collections bowl. It feels completely December to me. And if you liked this song before, because it was attached to an old flame, boyfriend / girlfriend... well maybe its time for for the Ex to move on; St. Nicholas is replacing you. I think the suit fits better. Red with fluffy white trim.




Second one is a classic from Canadian Legend Leonard Cohen... 'Hallelujah' (Took a lot of times to spell that right)
If there ever was a christmas song so deep, moving and completely personal, its probably this. Its been covered by almost everyone, most famously by Jeff Buckley. Rufus Wainwright. John Cale. (Allison Crowes version is bunk) Ive posted the Damian Rice version, because I probably like it the most, and its the most obscure. Hes Irish n All, too, maybe thats why. But whoever the singer, the song is a personal favorite (Stay away Mariah, Ill jumping-superman punch Nick Cannon in the temple if you even think of it). I feel it adds a solemn tone to the winter, sometimes needed in the pantheon of Christmas classics. A quiet sense... of praise and thought. Sometimes this time of year, theres needs to be a place for shedding tears, the type that are good or bad. You need this side of Christmas to be included too. It adds range. A for that its a perfect song.

Actually between this and Suzanne, Cohen has two of my favorite tunes of all time.



So thats it. Im not sure Im doing a gift list this year. Im not coming home this time, and it is recession and all. Most of you know though, I like nice things. Designer Nice things.

Have a lovely Christmas.

By the way, one more week and Im going to Prague!

No comments: