Sunday, October 21, 2007

Im going to do a Seinfeld

Listening to random songs randomly right now and while laying back n listening, Ive noticed a few peculiarities with words in song. Lyrics are funny: This should sound familiar

"When you first left me I was wanting more
But you were fucking that girl next door, what cha do that for
When you first left me I didn't know what to say
I never been on my own that way, just sat by myself all day"

So this is actually from a happy song... Smile, Lily Allen.. but I bet you never notice the context of the actual lyrics when its playing, cuz for this song, youd be too busy bobbing your head to the poppy beat. Reading these lyrics in isolation however, youd think it would belong to some so deep sad slow song, like Fione Apple, Aimee Mann, or Beth Orton. But nope, not in this case, instead 12 year olds are dancing.

Heres another one:

"Your face is pasty
'Cause you've gone and got so wasted
What a surprise
Don't want to look at your face, 'cause it's making me sick "

Normally one would read this and think an angry song, moody and probably loud; Actually its a quite modest and catchy song, Foundations by Kate Nash. Its almost like the lyrics dont fit the song, and maybe thats why I like it so much, a lyrical juxtoposition (its a big word so I cant be sure of spelling, or dont even know if I used it right)

What Im also trying to say though, behind it all, is I really dig this new trend of English Female Artists actually singing with English accents... I love it. Stop trying to sound so American already...

No comments: