Sunday, October 14, 2007

Woh.. ( ala Joey from Blossom)

This is something Ive never done before... post twice on the same day. In effect really, the number of posts that I submitted today doubles what I did for the whole month of August... and a few other months that need not be mentioned. Ill go with it though. Plus its 22:10 on the Sunday, and Im kinda stuck for something to do... apart from talking and playing with the neighborhood cat that just walked in my front door (He has stripes and looks like a tiger, I call him Hobbes. Currently my only friend)

HOBBES


Wanted to build on something Ive already introduced during my insomnia post from Thursday late night / Friday morning. Friday Night Lights (Forgive me for being a season behind, but Im in Ireland. Thats my defence, they dont even show it here, cuz football to them is Gaelic football, or to a lesser extent, Soccer) Started watching Thursday, couldnt stop, two days in a row I fell asleep past 5am, and unsurprisingly its become one of my new favorite shows of all time. I must admit that I did watch the pilot of this show internet streaming months and months ago, and maybe I didnt pay full attention while I was watching that, but I didnt bite at the time. It was okay, alright, a solid 6. But then I read all the pleas on the various websites I frequent, consistently praising the show with critical and public acclaim; the most prominent example being from Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy from ESPN. He practically begged his readers to watch the show, because although it was undoubtly one of the highest quality shows on TV going, its Neilsen ratings were not exactly the Georgie Best. The show needed help to gain more viewership and avoid being cancelled. But the fans of the show, the ones that did watch, loved it passionately with cult-like vigor, and I can now totally understand why: if you ignore the Football, it easily has the most accurate portrait of modern high school dynamics in all the history of TV; I honestly believe this ( I threw in the word modern, because Freaks and Geeks was just as good in depicting 80s High School adolescence). This is one of those shows that is executed so skillfully that it doesnt have to rely on any dramatic gimmicks, its just a plainly well written serial built on solid fundamental storytelling... much like the Wire, much like the Sopranos. And of these shows, the only way I could describe it properly, is that if you enjoy the input and stimulation you get from reading a good solid novel, namely strong and consistent character development and a well paced slow building story, and somehow want to simulate that experience the closest possible way on a television program... then shows like the Wire, Sopranos and now Friday Night Lights are the closest you can ever come. No contrivance, just good accurate fresh material and story telling, with three dimensional characters you cant help care about. No ridiculousness required.

And of course, there is Minka Kelly, the girl who plays Layla Garrity, captain of the cheerleading team and girlfriend to the Quarterback. She is shocking, so unbelievably and life changingly stunning. I have fallen hard, she is my new love, easily the cutest girl in the history of my eyesight, Oh My Goodness. She is just way too cute, its really not fair. I love this show.

Sad part is, just to kick me in the balls, I just found out as of last month she is now dating John Mayer. I really cant believe it. He is the guy that gets to feel up her boobs? ASSHOLE ASSHOLE, what is it with this guy? As if I couldnt dislike this guy enough already... John bloody freakin Mayer. Argghhhh... aparently she hasnt seen the facial contortions he makes when he sings? It shatters mirrors, honestly. The only way I could be more upset is if she was dating Stephen Dorff or Wilmer Valderrama.

And on that note, building on the previous singing out loud post, Music Im listening to right now:
Band of Horses ( the brand new one and the old one too. New Album has a song called Detlef Schrempf. AWESOME)
Cat Power
Corrine Bailey Rae
John Legend

No comments: